General Overview

Stormwater runoff from construction activities can significantly impact water quality by contributing sediments, as well as other pollutants to bodies of water including lakes, rivers, streams, etc. and is regulated accordingly.

In order to discharge stormwater from a construction site, all construction projects that disturb one (1) acre or more of land must have either:

  • an individual stormwater permit, or
  • coverage under California’s general permit.

Disturbance includes, but is not limited to soil disturbance, clearing, grading, and excavation. Operators of sites disturbing less than one (1) acre are also required to obtain a permit if their activity is part of a “larger common plan of development or sale” with a planned disturbance of one (1) acre or greater.

To apply for an individual permit or for coverage under a statewide general permit you must file an application with the  California Environmental Protection Agency prior to beginning construction activities.

Construction projects that disturb one (1) or more acres are subject to three (3) major requirements:

  • Submit a permit application (or Notice of Intent) prior to the start of construction.
  • Develop, submit, and implement an erosion and sediment control plan prior to initiating any on-site activities.
  • Submit a Notice of Termination when the following criteria have been met: final stabilization of the site has been achieved as defined in the permit, all temporary erosion and sediment controls have been removed, and no potential remains for construction-related sediment discharge to surface waters.

In addition to these statewide rules, you may be required to meet additional local stormwater and erosion control regulations. Check with applicable city or county government to determine if additional local rules apply to your construction project.

California Stormwater Information

Municipal Stormwater Resources

Training and Professional Opportunities

EPA Stormwater Resources

Add Jurisdictional Resources

It is our intention for this resource to expand and grow over time. If you have any jurisdictional and/or regulatory information that would be useful to those using this resource, contributions will be appreciated. Please be sure to include links with submissions.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.