Bushfires have been burning in Australia since September with widespread devastation, killing at least twenty-five (25) people, thousands of homes have been destroyed, and estimates of animals killed are estimated at one billion and growing. Approximately 15 million acres (which will have significantly increased from the time we wrote this) have burned across the country, and the fires could continue to burn for months to come.
Ways to Help:
Fire Departments: In both Victoria and New South Wales, two (2) of the hardest hit areas, you can donate directly to the state fire authority.
- Victoria: Donate at https://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/about/supporting-cfa#donate-cfa
- New South Wales: Donations can be made to the NSW Rural Fire Service https://quickweb.westpac.com.au/OnlinePaymentServlet?cd_community=NSWRFS&cd_currency=AUD&cd_supplier_business=DONATIONS&action=EnterDetails
- Victorian Government: In partnership with Bendigo Bank and The Salvation Army, the Victorian Government, a fund has been established for affected families and communities. Donation can be made to the Victorian Bushfire Appeal at https://www.vic.gov.au/bushfireappeal
- Australian Red Cross is accepting donations to Disaster Relief and Recovery at https://www.redcross.org.au/campaigns/disaster-relief-and-recovery-donate
- GIVIT is collecting donation items requested by people affected by the fires
There are also relief efforts dedicated to helping wildlife and animals affected by the fires. Following are some ways you can help:
ECI Board of Directors and Staff send our best wishes to those affected by these fires and encourage everyone to assist as they are able!